Thursday, October 12, 2006

single white female

So Sarah and I have started advertising for our rooms. And by 'we', I mean I have posted the ads and I have fielded the phonecalls and I have answered the emails and I have arranged the times for people to come for viewings. (Which makes me sound bitter when I'm not- Sue and Sarah can't take calls at work and I can.)

Up till today, everything was pretty humdrum normal but suddenly, the emails I'm getting are like reading personals. And I really don't mind. If they were personals, I just might be writing back. (In fact my brain is already jumping ahead to the StrongBad-styled response...) Below are my two favs, names are obviously different and some details supressed because there has to be some privacy in this world, right?

guy #1
Hi, I'm interested in the double room advertised on Gumtree.
My name's Bob, I'm 28 and work in graphic design. I'm moving to London from XXX to start my new job at XXX later this month.
I'm really laid back, and I'm tidy about the house, I like to live in a tidy house. I'd like to find a house where I can get on well with my housemates and enjoy a meal and a sociable drink when it suits. I like to keep fit and try to go running when I can be bothered! I don't smoke and I'm vegetarian.
Thanks,
Bob

Dear Bob,
I am also in graphic design, I don't smoke and am vegetarian. This is destiny! What would you like to call our first child?
I would love to meet up for a sociable drink, this evening would suit very well.
Yours not at all desparately,
Aynia


guy #2
Hi there !
I've just read your ad and am interested. A 24 year old french professionnal newly arrived in London to start a job in richmond in the wine business. I'm well organised, serious, but prefer to live in an easy going atmosphere, and of course will regularly appreciate a nice glass of wine with my flatmates.
My interests : Sports, travelling, meeting people, movies, etc...
If you're interested, I'll be happy to give you other informations concerning myself.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Froggy

Dear Froggy,
I also work in Richmond and would love to enjoy a nice glass of wine with you. I in no way hold your greeting exclamation mark against you (or the space before it) or the fact that you are French. This may previously have biased me but I met an absolutely charming Frenchman at a party the other week so am prepared to put the issue of the Rainbow Warrior behind us. Plus you guys do very good cheese.
I look forward to meeting you.
Aynia
P.S. I like red wine.

No comments: