Saturday, June 24, 2006

would you like some margarita with that gastronomic festival?

Last night, Natalie and I headed in to town for the launch of the Mexican Gastronomic Festival which coincided with the opening of a new Mexican restaurant/bar in town. We were promised delicacies such as:

• Guacamole Cocktail, a fine and delicious cold soup made of avocado, tomato, pinole (a regional Mexican seed) and fired tortillas.
• Flamed Prawns with tequila and mango sauce
• Deep fried birria flautas (lamb tacos)
• Jaliscan enchiladas
• Mini torta ahogada, a very typical urban delicacy from Guadalajara city made of a small pastry stuffed with potato and chorizo and finally soaked in a tasty chilli sauce

What we saw were mini enchiladas (which Natalie and I couldn't eat because we were vegies but that part was our fault so that was fine) and cornchips with salsa and guacamole. And an open bar. So I had a great night. Natalie, amazingly friendly and cheerful person that she is, met a girl at the bar who was there on her own so brought her back to our seats and we ended up having a great night and we plan to keep in touch. (No seriously, for real, not one of these superficial "I'll email you some time, we should catch up". We actually emailed this morning. Dude.) The bar itself was in a slightly dubious location but inside it was quite cool. It was all dimly lit (but not dodgy) with alcoves and fantastically comfy sofas and chairs. And there was one minibar that had only tequila- there were at least 30 bottles. And the drink menu prices! Eeek! There were shots (doubles) for £50 a pop. Crikey. I can't imagine spending that much money on a swallow of alcohol. (It should also be noted that straight tequila was not on the open bar drink list...) There was also a mariachi band for a while which was supercool and everone seemed very friendly and happy. (Probably due to the afore mentioned open bar and lack of food.)

So my night was great but I fear that my flatmate Sue did not fare so well. On the way home I checked my phone and it turns out that I'd set the video to record House and Grey's Anatomy(vital stuff) so she couldn't use the video and then when I got home, I set off our übersensitive fire alarm but overcooking my toast (and that thing is LOUD at the best of times, let along at 11:30pm) and then this morning I saw a note on the fridge asking if we'd used up her milk as she'd wanted it for something last night and there wasn't any left. (Not my fault, Sarah told the electricians to use our milk but they clearly ignored her.) I felt so horribly guilty that I took her washing out of the machine and hung it out and then did the dishes this morning, even though they weren't mine. And I left an apologetic note (which also explained that the electricians were the milk thieves and we would never be so rude).

No comments: