Friday, June 16, 2006

get happy

As I type, I am listening to "Super Random what Julie's been listening to, new music to expose Aynia to, and music from Julie's shows CD". My sister is nothing if not concise. ;-) Her birthday present to me finally arrived and it contained 2 pairs of cool undies and 2 mix CDs. And a card with one of those classically cute pics of us from when we were little. Check us out. We're adorable. Julie went through this phase when she was wee of staring at the camera with those huge eyes like she thought it might eat her. Supercutiepie.

A song which makes me think of Julie, even though it isn't on the CD, is The Beatles' 'Only A Northern Song': If you think the harmony, is a little wrong and out of key, then you're right, 'cause I sing it myself. When Julie and I packed Wanda up to the eyeballs and moved J up to Welly, she asked me (very nicely) if I could not sing along to all the songs all the way. There are times in her life when she's been less tactful about it. (Love you J. xox) I think I'm banned from whistling along to the radio (and probably quite justifiably) because I can't whistle for shite.

The football last night was an interesting experience. I sat in a pub where well over half of the people had to be wearing England support gear and sat through one V E R Y boring first half. The only highlight was Terry making this amazing save. The goalie was out of the way and Trinidad Tobago had a header going in when Terry leaps up and kicks it out of the way just off the line and went flying ass-backwards into the goal. Magnificent. I know words can't convey it (or at least not mine) but I've always been a sucker for athletic shows of male prowess and believe me ladies, this was one for the books. Things finally picked up in the second half and England ended up scoring two goals. When things got going, the atmosphere was great and I just had to laugh at these Brits jumping up and yelling in anger or joy. At one point a guy yelled out at Crouch on the screen, "Piss off you lanky c***!" (I'm not writing that word out in full. My mother reads this blog.) It seems like Crouch is quite a point of contention for England. Nobody really seems to like him and I heard all these comments about him looking like a freak and being a shit player and I didn't get what the deal was until last night. When you see pics of him on the news or in the paper, he doesn't seem that tall and skinny but when you seem him on screen- Jesus.Think Jack from 'Nightmare Before Christmas' running around in an England footie jersey. It's kinda scary. And he also seemed kinda shit, missing at least 2 goals with stuff that really looked like it should have gone in.

So yeah, a bit of footie fever has rubbed off but you won't find me wearing red and white any time soon. I just can't. I'm all for supporting England to win the world cup but when it comes down to it, I'm a Kiwi and there's no way I'm wearing another country's colours. And that's a comment I never thought I'd make. I know I've said it before but I'm not a patriotic person so imagine my surprise when I suddenly care about rugby games and start using phrases like "our boys"... It must be the being away from home that does it. At any rate, I can't wear an England t-shirt because I'm not British and it's that simple. Also my mother would probably disown me which might be awkward.

The good weather is holding out so far and the weekend's meant to be up to 27 degrees here so the Foo Fighters could be a sweaty affair indeed. Aimee's coming over to my place tonight as she was in town for a course and Reece arrives tomorrow. I only talked to Aimee briefly on the phone but already I can tell that after a weekend with those two and my accent will be sliding back in to strong NZ sounds. Choice bro.

No comments: