Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I want my sensei!

Last night I went to the martial arts place for that free session and was quite gutted. The people seemed great, exactly who I'd want to train with but what they teach is 90% kickboxing and I was not told that when I talked to the bloke on the street. The instructors have a range of backgrounds but what they're teaching is kickboxing. They do some other things like weapons and forms and, when they get mats, jujitsu, but those classes are for the advanced students. They want everyone to do this 6 month basic programme first which I kinda understand because it means they know that everyone knows the basics but I'm not going through 6 months of kickboxing just to touch a weapon. So I left kinda miffed as I felt that I'd been misled but I was also quite bitterly disappointed- I hadn't realised how much I'd been building this up for myself and how much I wanted it to be right. I really do miss training. I was sitting on the train on the way home and thinking, "I just want what I had at home over here." Boohoo, woe is me, stomp my foot in frustration, yada yada yada. And simply doing the kicks and basic stuff, I realised that though I may be going to gym every weekday and stretching and doing yoga once a week, my kicks (which were never fab) are now utterly shite and while I thought my flexibility was okay, it would seem that my body has got lazy when it comes to using certain muscles in certain combinations. And I missed CSI. Hmpf.

At least I'm booked in for a taster session at an indoor climbing wall and once I've done that, I'll book in for a beginners' course. I know I want to do the course but I'm doing the taster thing with a girl from work as she's never done climbing before. That should help with general balance, body coordination, flexibility, and strength (esp in my upper body) so that's something. In fact I was quite excited about the climbing thing when I booked it but now I'm just feeling a bit jaded and cynical (for those not in the know, on most phones, my name comes up as 'cynic' in predictive text. Coincidence? I'm not so sure...) at the moment.

No comments: