Wednesday, August 22, 2007

will hug for curry

It sounds like the heading for some cheesey new chick-lit book doesn't it? I can just imagine the blurb on the back of the book now: Aynia's life was bland. Finally making it in the world of graphic design she had a job she liked with people she liked but worked so hard that there seemed time for little else. The closest she got to excitement was fending off the amorous advances of the proprieter of her local Indian takeaway. Then finally the scuba diving magazine she works for sends her on a trip to the Red Sea and with the appearance of her personal dive guide, Juan, it seems that there might just be some spice in Aynia's life after all...

So I'm liberally cutting and pasting (and embellishing) different parts of my life... I know, I know, I have far too vivid an imagination and too much time on my hands- this is what happens when I can't be bothered taking my iPod out of the depths of my backpack and walk the half hour home from the train with just the company of my own thoughts. Dangerous.

In regards to amorous advances of my local Indian takeaway proprietor, well it's kinda true. Every since Kitty was here and leaned on the Indian takeaway counter after 2 pints and told the guy how they made the best curry she had tasted in a very long time and was there being all drunk and chatty and tall and blonde and then got us both hugged- well ever since then (curse you Kitbit), I have had to fend off dodgey Indian hugs which get held for just 2 seconds too long. Which is about 3 seconds too many for my liking. You know when you hug someone and go to let go and step back but they're still holding on- that. The latest instance was last night- I did my standard wave hello as I walked past on my way home from climbing and as I was getting my keys out, the guy actually came out. I got a hug hello and as a result, am in the process of perfecting my exit trategy which involves putting my hands on his shoulders as I let go, thereby pushing us away from each other which is more active than just letting go and trying to step back. I was offered free curry- or at least free dessert and, get this, I actually said no. I was thinking at the time, "What is wrong with me? Saying no to curry? Who am I and what have I done with myself?" When I got back up to the flat, Sarah and Sean couldn't believe it either.

So my conundrum is this: what do I do? If this were a pub or a club, I would have no problem telling this guy to fuck off but this is now not a stranger, it's my curry man and I know him and it'd be rude to say, "Excuse me, could you please not hug me for so long, it makes me uncomfortable?". Wouldn't it? I mean if a few hugs every now and then get us extra curry and free things and a discount, where's the harm in that? For now, I plan to perfect my exit trategy and get Sarah or Sean to do the picking up when we order curry...

So this is me signing out for tonight, the girl who will sell her body for a curry.

2 comments:

Johjo said...

Laughed out loud!
xox

Anonymous said...

kill the curry cooker