Thursday, August 16, 2007

the coolest idea ever*

I came across this link on A Dress A Day and was struck but what a cool idea it is. I don't think I could adapt something like this to my figure (I suit a different style) but I still think it's supercutiepie. And such a nice flared skirt.

On the subject of sewing, next Monday is a bank holiday and I think I'm gonna be spending it making togas. I know, I know, all you have to do is wrap a sheet around you but I'd like to take the chance to be creative and make something a little more tailored. We'll see how it goes... So why am I interested in togas? Well one of my friends is having a birthday party in a couple of weeks and she wanted to do a dress-up and went for the toga theme. The reasoning was, she wants everyone to dress up and everyone has a sheet to nobody should have an excuse. Which I guess seems fair enough but coming from Dunedin where toga party = skanky fresher boosing fest, I have my reservations. That and I'm not the kind of person whose figure is seen in its best light when wrapped in a large white sheet... So the sheet won't be white, in fact I'm thinking the louder the pattern the better. ;-) Whilst researching various toga patterns on the web I made the schoolboy error of doing a google image search. All I can say is WTF and yep ladies, I'm pretty sure that chest hair is real.

After a weekend which has mainly consisted of 2 days of shopping (but I wasn't the one doing most of the spending so yay) I am absolutely shattered. My flatmates and I are currently sitting down in front of the tv in a vegetative state watching Troy and wooden horses made us wonder about the origins of never look a gift horse in the mouth. So I googled it (as you do) and, for those who don't know, here is, supposedly, the history behind the phrase:

Who Said It: St. Jerome
When: 400 A.D.
The Story behind It: This proverb is based on the fact that a horse's value is determined by his age, which, in turn, can be roughly determined by an examination of his teeth. The message conveyed is that a gift should be appreciated for the thought and spirit behind it, not according to its value. St. Jerome, who never accepted payment for his writings, first used the phrase in reply to his literary critics. His exact words: "Never inspect the teeth of a gift horse."

And that's all for now folks.

*given that any new thing I see that seems a bit funky has to be the new best idea ever... ;-)

No comments: