Wednesday, July 05, 2006

the modern feminist

I like to think that being a true feminist in the 21st century means that although I know I can lift the 19L water bottle to replace it in the water cooler, I am perfectly happy to let one of the boys at work do it when they offer. Because they're being polite by offering so surely it's polite to accept? Also it's bloody hot today and I've already been to the gym and done yoga so I have every right to be lazy and accept chivalry when it comes my way.

So last week was press week and hectically busy as per usual and this week it's been horribly hot (and in the weekend too)- like up to 32 degrees. Apparently it got up to 38 degrees in some on the tennis courts at Wimbledon. Jesus. Those poor buggers having to run around and hit a ball in that heat. Not for me chickadee. And although I've managed to drag myself to the gym in the mornings, the heat has otherwise drained me of the will to do anything but sit in the shade with ice cold drinks. I can't even be bothered blogging which is saying a lot.

On Saturday I watched England get kicked out of the World Cup (snigger). Well not too much snigger really. They didn't play that well and didn't deserve to go through but they didn't deserve to lose out because of penalties either. And they cried at the end which really was just sad- not sadpathetic but ohyoupoorthingI'msosorry sad. They really did want it bad. So now all the England flags and support paraphernalia has come down and the place looks naked.

All this means that attention can be focused on Wimbledon (or in my case the tri-nations which is starting, I think, this week). My tube station is the one you get off at for Wimbledon and every year at tennis time the station gets a facelift. I should take before and after pics for you folks. It's quite hilarious (I've noticed that I use this word a lot) too see how everything gets dolled up for the tourists. What is not hilarious are the crowds we have to cope with. No cash at any of the cash machines because they've been cleared out, no seats available on the tube, stalls of tacky souvenirs everywhere. Grumble grumble. My friends went to see the tennis last Friday but I couldn't go because of press deadlines but secretly I don't mind too much because of the queuing involved to get in. People camp out in front of the venue during the fortnight of Wimbledon and queues can get to at least 500m (this is not a fact I know, this is me taking a guess at the distance from the venue to the park down the road). I do know you could be in the queue for 3 hours. It becomes as much of an event as the tennis. People bring drinks and picnics, it's insane. Only in Britain would they make an event of queuing.

No comments: