Wednesday, July 05, 2006

we will stop at nothing

As science progresses, the scenarios of the sci-fi books of my youth seem less like fiction and more like a potential reality. The stories where Earth is a barren wasteland because we've pillaged all its resources or global warming has had its wicked way with the planet; the ones like Gattaca where normal, unaltered people are the freaks, not the ones who have been enhanced or screened at birth; the ones about wars between humans and the clones/drone slaves they produced. I mean we have the technology and even if we don't quite have all of it just yet, we're well on our way.

I myself don't know where I draw the line with scientific research and how far we should take our findings or even how far we should actually explore. Surely there's a point where we should go, "You know what? We could find out about that but maybe we'd better just leave it as it is and, just for once, not see if we can put it back together better than it was before we pulled it apart."

Why the cynicism you ask? Well I came across this article the other day. I think this news story foreshadows (probably not quite the word I want but I'll use it anyway) up the potential fate of mankind quite nicely. I mean what can you say about a race that is willing to stick extended legs on to ants as well as chopping bits off just to see how exactly it is that they manage to get back to their home? Some may say I'm overreacting but to me it seems curiosity taken just way to fucking far that we will chop the legs of something (I don't know if they can feel it, maybe they can, maybe they can't.) to see how it works. I know, it’s ‘only an ant’, but for Christsake people, where’s the line people?! This is the human race folks. We will stop at nothing to scratch that curiosity itch. I say the doomsday stories of my sci-fi youth are just a matter of time. Someone will clone a human, someone will make a kangaroo/human hybrid and why? Just to see if they can.

No comments: