Monday, September 18, 2006

a guilty confession...

I have a confession to make. In the weekend I went to a Robbie Williams concert.

I know.

My flatmate Sarah is a huge Robbie fan (everyone has their faults) and has been since the days of Take That. She managed to snaffle 4 tickets to one of his 'London' gigs and since she caught me on one of my 'oh what the Hell, why not, I'll try anything once' days, I said I'd take one.

I neither love nor hate Robbie's music but I do think that he's an excellent performer and he did do a really good show. Any of my residual apathy is probably due to two factors: 1-It turns out that I'm really not a big gig girl 2-It took us 4 1/2 hours to get home. No gig is good enough for a 4 1/2 hour trip home.

The Foo Fighters had been my first big gig- previously the largest one I'd been to was the equivalent of the Dunedin Town Hall. Maybe it's the open air thing. Maybe it's the 60,000 people thing. Who knows. All I know is that a bit of the atmos and intimacy gets lost and I'd rather go to something smaller. Well now I know.

As for the 4 1/2 hours journey home- well... The concert was meant to be at the Wembley Stadium but the builders are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind schedule so it got changed to Milton Keynes (a place I am neverneverneverneverneverneverEVER going again). Getting there was fine. We got a 40min fast train from Euston, arrived early, had lunch and a couple of drinks and got a taxi to the arena. The concert finished at 22:30 at which point 60,000 people tried to leave through 2 exits. Well maybe there were more but there was definitely only 1 you were to go through to get to the train station which is at least a good 30min walk at the best of times (I've been told). Just imagine cramming well over 20,000 people out of one entrance that is about 10 people wide. Nice one. So it was a slow walk and then the queues to the train were formidable and we finally got on one at 00:15. And it was a slow train. And the last tube runs at 00:30. (If it has been at Wembley, we could have tubed it home.) So we had to nightbus it, always an experience and got to Putney which would be a half hour walk home so I paid for a taxi and we were in bed at 3am. That is just WRONG. Luckily we got an Irish taxi driver who was almost impossible to understand but bloody hilarious and it saved the night.

So as you can see, this kinda overshadows Robbie for me. he sung well though and had breaks between sets where he chatted away and when he didn't come across as overbearingly arrogant, he was charming and funny. I'm not buying the CD though.

On to less shamelful things
I stumbled across this website (the image links to the site) and you should check them out. It's my kind of humour (well most of them).












Also, because I enjoy the quirky, why don't you go here and have your personality judged according to how you draw a pig. On the left is my pig. On the right are my results. Go on and have a go. What does your pig say about you? Of course if look at my pig and results first, you can totally cheat to get what you want…





And finally…
Check out http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/blog1/keiramanip.htm for a fascinating example of photo retouching using one of my fav actors (dude, I’m being ironic), Keira Knightley. I do not put this up as any kind of bitchyness at all, it’s just amazing what those people can do with Photoshop.

No comments: