Friday, July 13, 2007

I know I shouldn't laugh but...

The headline on my Metro* this morning could have come from a Hiaasen novel: The rise of DIY plastic surgery. Here are a selection of the better quotes:
Obsession with celebrity culture is driving people to perform DIY cosmetic surgery, an expert warned yesterday.
In the worst case, a man gave himself a nose job with a chisel and replaced cartilage he removed with a chicken bone, according to consultant psychiatrist Dr David Veale.
Others have cut their stomachs in DIY tummy tucks, and used glue to try to pin back their ears.


Now I know I should be horrified by the impact that the media is having on our everyday life and boo-hiss to size zero models etc etc and that it's tragic that someone cuts their own stomach because they think they're fat but I'm afraid I just can't get past a guy chiseling his nose off and putting in a chicken bone. It's so horribly tragic that I can't help but laugh. Say it with me folks: WTF.

*still avoiding reading the horoscope in the morning although now that I've sworn off reading it, it is of course all I want to do. But I know that if I read it, it'll be all doomsday again and then I'll regret it. But it feels like having a scab that you know you shouldn't pick so all you want to do it pick at it. Scabby little Metro horoscopes. A pox on them all.

No comments: