Friday, June 29, 2007

the basics

I find something simple and reassuring in the conditional love of a cat. Usually when I house/catsit, I come over to the house first, get shown around, get to meet the cat(s). This way I know what's what and the resident feline has at least met me in association with it's owners. I think it helps to break the ice. In this case (I'm catsitting at the moment), I didn't get that chance so I just bowled on up to a house I'd never been to before and met 2 cats who, although not scared of me, seemed slightly non-plussed. I was allowed to touch them but not on the head and not for long.

That was 4 days ago. By now, they have come to accept that I'm the one feeding them at the moment so, no matter whose turf this was to start with, and no matter how naturally superior they might be (because aren't all cats superior to humans in their eyes?), I am currently fulfilling my current role as Dispenser of Food and as such, I am now rewarded with being allowed to touch them and am even talked to upon occasion (but really only because I have been derelict or tardy in my feeding duties and need a verbal reminder).

I mean sure, I'm a cat person anyway but I think this is just great. This morning I actually laughed out loud when Esme, the queen of the house, was on my bed and started rolling around and coming up and rubbing her head against my hand. When I was younger I would have thought, "Oh she's so cute, she likes me!" Now, cynical and world-wise with cat experience, I laughed at her and said, "What? I feed you for 4 days and suddenly you decide I'm worthy of marking with your scent?" It's like she's given me 4 days to prove that I'm worth claiming. All because I've fed her regularly. Hilarious!

Cats make me laugh. I love dogs for their natural affection and friendly ways but I kinda like having to earn at least the pretense of civility. Maybe it's that treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen thing that cats have down so well. Maybe it's the stand-offish-ness and aloofness that is a combo of the bad boy and the hard-to-get. Or maybe it's just that my affections can also be won with regular feeding. ;-) Love me, hug me, feed me, I'm not too picky about the order.

No comments: