Wednesday, February 21, 2007

reality check

signs from the heavens
I enjoy reading my horoscope. Seeing as I usually only read it in the evening paper on the way home, it amuses me to see, retrospectively, how it might have applied to my day. Yesterday, the gem that awaited me in London Lite was:
Don't mistake the pressure that comes with the sun's move into the crucial midheaven angle of your chart, which accents your activities and your lifestyle, as an indication that decisions need to be made swiftly. Rather, it's time to review these, and be ready to consider in just what way things could be improved.
I beg your pardon? Am I the only one who had to read that several times? Am I then to take it that I should not rush decisions on changing my activities and lifestyle? That's how I'm reading it anyway. Why she couldn't just say "don't rush things kiddo, haste makes waste", I don't know. But then with a name like Shelly von Struncknel, what can you expect? That's right, von Struncknel. I mean I'm 99.9% sure it's a pseudonym but still, that's a humdinger. The other star signs got nothing quite so convoluted, I felt very special.

Pee in a cup
Today I finally registered with a doctor. I really only finally got around to it because if I want insurance for my diving trip, I need to be registered with a doctor here. So far, in my one year and almost nine months in this country, I have only had to go to a doctor once and for that I went to a walk-in clinic. The NHS over here is renowned for being totally shit and there are many horror stories about mis-diagnosed illnesses and generally incompetent care so I decided I'd just rather not get sick. Plus I've been back to NZ twice in that time and seen my doctor both times. Today's trip ended up being rather anti-climactic. I was told that I had to bring my passport with my visa in it and a utility bill as proof of address but when I turned up, they never even looked at them. I just rocked on up, scandalised them with the knowledge that I'd been here for over a year and not registered with a doctor (and they really were. I was given several glares), filled out a couple of forms, peed in a container and that was it. BORING! But at least I'm registered and now travel insurance shall be mine! Oh my life is complete...

Tick Tock
I realise that I am now at an age where it is not totally insane that friends of mine are doing grown-up stuff life getting married and having babies (not that they're all doing them both, or even in that order, just that those two things seem to be happening with increasing regularity at the moment...) When I was home at Christmas, I was talking to one of my closest friends who was discussing plans for the future and she mentioned wanting to do something this year because next year... tick tock... I stared at her in shock and said, "Tick tock?! What the fuck to you mean tick-fucking-tock?!!" But then I realised, it's not so crazy after all, most of us are chasing 30. And then today I get an email in which she again mentions the baby thing but now I'm freaking out for different reasons. I'm already going to miss the birth of one friend's kid but I reallyreallyreally don't want to miss my best friend's pregnancy. Given the way my plans are going at the moment, I won't be back in NZ until the end of 2008 by which time the kid could be 6 months to a year old and that's just not good enough. I mean I can still win its eternal love and be the best and craziest Auntie Aynia ever if I get them that young but I want to be there for it all. (Although given the father-to-be and uncle-to-be, I think I'd have stiff competition.)

But that's the way it goes. I have decided, for whatever reason, that this is where I need to be at the moment, and for the next wee while as well. I don't always like it but I still feel it's the right decision...

No comments: