Friday, February 09, 2007

angry raging white female (on the inside)

Currently I'm meant to be in a state of ketosis. My book says I'm meant to be enjoying a heightened state of alertness and clear headedness with lots of energy. What I am is quitequite pissed off. You try to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when all you can think about it whyGodwhy are you not allowed to eat carbs (well I am but I'm meant to be keeping it under 20g a day which is sweet f*ck all so basically no bread, crackers, spuds, pasta, rice, cereal, beans etc) and what is the deal with even quite a few vegies being quite high in carbs so that when you put an amount on your plate it looks like nothing and salad is about all you can load up on. Of course I'm allowed to eat all the protein I want but I'm a vegetarian* so I'm kinda f*cked. Or, as the case seems to be, f*cked off. And lets not even START on how much I want chocolate right now...

Now before people think that I'm some psycho-obessed diet freak let me set you straight. To me, the word 'diet' defines more a way of structuring what you eat than the more traditional 'eat cabbage soup for a week' or 'eat this protein shake at every meal** For health reasons I will not go in to, I need to be looking in to a low GI diet and one vege low GI cookbook I got recommends kicking this off by at least a week where you eat 20g or less of carbs which should put you in to ketosis which helps to kick things off. So I thought trying it for a week couldn't hurt but I'm only on day 3 and I feel like I have a raging beast trapped within me. I'm sure this isn't just due to carb-cutting but I'll go in to that later...

This whole ketosis thing is quite interesting but doing some quick googling just now I'm not so sure how I feel about it. The first place I checked was wikipedia and I wasn't too keen on the term Most medical resources regard ketosis as a pathological state associated with chronic starvation. I was a bit happier with www.answers.com (Scroll down the page a bit for the definition part.) Basically I'll try to stick it out till Saturday when I'm having friends round for dinner- I'm sure I can last till then. The question is whether I've ripped off the heads of every one I come in to contact with before then...

Other reasons for me being in a foul mood (in no particular order):
1- Work stuff. But of course I'm not going to go in to that.
2- I slept like shit, woke up at 5am and went back to sleep and didn't end up going to the gym
3- Probably low on my daily endorphin jolt because of missing the gym. So I have to hang out until climbing tonight to get my fix.
4- ear piercings are probably to blame (partially) for poor sleep. And now both are a bit swollen.
5- I'm having 9 people over on Saturday and although I can feed them, I have no idea where the f*ck they're meant to sit. Or even fit. We have a rather small open-plan kitchen/living room. And it's the first time they've ever come over. What was I thinking?!!!!

I think that sums it up. I will now stop ranting and get back to work. Peace out.

*who eats seafood
**and you won't crap for a month. This happened to one of my sister's flatmates long ago- she was on this protein shake diet and the whole time she ate it she did not poop once. That is not natural.

No comments: