Wednesday, April 15, 2009

hot cross glory

I'll admit it, I pleasantly surprised myself this year. I try to make hot cross buns every year and although they do taste good, they have previously been rather, umm.... how does one tactfully put it? Aaah yes, solid. One hot cross bun and you're full. Two hot cross buns and you wouldn't need concrete shoes. But this year- light and fluffy! I was so relieved! I don't know what was different, apart from the recipe, but I'll be sticking with this one from now on just in case that was it.

All packed into their tin ready to bake.

Closeup, it's compulsory by now, you should all know that.

Fresh from the oven, unglazed. They've even brown on the sides! I was stoked.

After the honey glaze, shiny hot cross glory.

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

HOT CROSS BUNS

INGREDIENTS
2x7g packkets granulated yeast
1/4C (55g) caster sugar)
1 1/2C warm milk
4C (600g) plain flour
1t mixed spice (I did 1/4 each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg as that's what I had)
1/2t cinnamon
60g butter
1 egg
3/4C sultanas (I used a mix of citrus peel and sultanas)

FLOUR PASTE FOR CROSSES
1/2C plain flour
2t caster sugar
1/2C water (I added a bit more)

GLAZE
1T honey, melted with some hot water

METHOD
1- Combine yeast, sugar and milk in a small bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 10 mins until mix is frothy.
2- Sift flour and spices into large bowl. Run in butter. Stir in yeast mixture, egg and sultanas; mix to a soft sticky dough. Cover; stand in warm place about 45 mins or until doubled in size.
3- Grease 23cm square slab cake tin. (Or I just put some baking paper in and don't grease it at all.)
4- Turn dough onto floured surface, knead about 5 mins or until smooth. Divide dough into 16 pieces, knead into balls. Place balls into prepared pan; cover, stand in warm place about 10 mins or until buns have risen to top of pan. (This took longer for me, left them for close to 30 mins.)
5- Meanwhile preheat oven to 200- 220C˚ (I suggest you gauge this depending on your oven. You want it hot but when you put them in, if they look like they're browning too quickly, turn the temp down a bit or put some greaseproof paper over the top them.)
6- Place flour paste for crosses in piping bag fitted with small plain tube, pipe across buns.
7- Bake buns in hot oven about 20 mins or until well browned. Turn buns onto wire rack and brush generously with glaze. I tend to do several coats as it the glaze gets absorbed quite quickly initially.

3 comments:

pschlup said...

Yes, please post the recipe! Silly expat-too-long me forgot that Easter is hot cross bun season back in Godzone. I'd love to have a recipe that works! Also, if you put in All Spice, what does that contain?

aynz said...

I didn't have allspice but just used a combo of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, that's what I usually do.

Oh and FYI- http://foodgeeks.com/encyclopedia/419/allspice/ ;-)

aynz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.