Monday, February 23, 2009

in defense pink


I am going through an artistic conundrum at the moment. Pink. I like the song, I don't mind the musician but my relationship with the colour has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. From the age of about 4 till about 8, I think my wardrobe must have been well over 50% pink. At least that's how it sits in my memory. I loved it. I had a friend who had a completely pink bedroom and I was completely in love with it. And then somewhere along the line my love didn't just fade, it flipped into outright anti-ness. I remember having a light pink jersey in my early highschool years but it surely must be something like 15 years since I've worn pink and then, it was only in PJs. And now a little bit in a flower in a skirt I own. But still, I've been a pretty pink-free zone for almost half my life now. I can't pin it down but at some point, my anti-ness started to fade.


And in fact now I almost kinda like it. *shudder* Such has been my own personal brainwashing that even writing that feels like I'm airing some dirty little personal secret of which I should be ashamed.


What started as "oh I think some pink might look good in this design" has progressed to "oh I think some pink might look good in this room". I'm actively thinking about bringing the colour back in to my environment. I look at websites of interiors and go, "Oh that's really cute!" instead of wanting to stab my eyes out. It feels a bit wrong.*


So maybe pink has a time and a place. And if you're gonna use it, why not go all-out?**

All images used in this post are from Domino. Clicking on the pic will take you through to the gallery page it's from.


*It should be stated in my defense that in the Land of Aynia, there is a very large difference between "Oh that's really cute!" and "Oh I must do that to my room!" or "Oh I must go out and wear that!" A VERY large difference. I'm not going to be pinking up my bedroom any time soon. Hell no.
**again, not in any room in my house, not in this lifetime. I am, clearly, still coming to grips with pink.

No comments: