Wednesday, May 16, 2007

cats & cake

Last Friday I went to see Cats at the Wimbledon Theatre. I really thought I liked Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. I was prepared to overlook The Woman In White (*shudder* I try not to think of it) because I'd seen Jesus Christ Super Star and Phantom of the Opera, and Evita (some just as films but still...) and liked them all but for some reason I just didn't really seem to warm to Cats. I knew it was based on poems by T.S. Eliot but personally I just didn't think it hung together. Where was the plot? As far as I could see, it was about a bunch of cats, we got introduced to some different characters, one was a bit tragic, crisis hit in the disappearance of the cat leader but he was returned safe and sound and at the end the tragic kitty went towards the light. Bleh. I just didn't care. Cat leader disappears- who cares? Cat leader returned- whoop-dee-f*cking-do. Tragic cat character- not so tragic to me. I mean it was all nice enough but the whole thing just left me a bit unmoved.

I also find that initially I take a bit of warming to a musical. It's like the first time they start doing that talk/singing thing my brain goes, "What?! Why don't they just sing or just talk? Why are they talking but almost singing? Soooooooooooo naff." If it's a good musical, I tend to be able to just take it in my stride after a while but if it's not, well it ruins it all for me.

I'm currently watching the end of Pride and Prejudice (the BBC version, the only real one)- I watched the 2nd three episodes as I made dinner and then two banana cakes. I happened to mention to Kez on our walk that I was making one tonight and she asked with a winsome smile if I'd use their old bananas too and make them one too and I'm not the kind of girl to deny someone cake. Speaking of which, I should go check the oven... Toodles.

1 comment:

Johjo said...

Im so sorry you didnt enjoy cats. One of my fav memories from London was seeing cats. I loved the lights, music, interaction (especially as we were in the front row!). I loved everything about it. Might have had something to do with the fact I was only 8 years old, but can't be sure!
xox