Saturday, May 27, 2006

if ya can't beat 'em

With the football World Cup only 2 weeks off, England is soon to be tight in the grips of football fever. If you think the Brits are passionate about their footie now, just give them a fortnight. Already shops have their displays in red and white (like the pic above which is from the op shop beside work) and you can buy all kinds of paraphernalia (see below) to show just how cool you are.
At the moment one of the main points of tension is Wayne Rooney's broken foot. Today the doctor's prognosis was released to the public but even so, the feedback seems mixed. This morning a guy at work announced that Rooney was out of the cup. I swear Charlotte had tears in her eyes. All she said was, "Well that's it then, we won't win." But then half an hour later she claims that he'll be fine to play. I don't know. And honestly, I don't really care but I can see myself getting swept up in the spirit of it all. I mean it's that or get the crap beaten out of me when I use my usual method of who to support which involves watching the first 10 mins of a game and then cheering for the side that I think has the most attractive players...

No comments: