Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dorkland!

Here I am!
Post-Critic smester 1, post-critic drunken dinner, and now in Auckland, my new home for 3 weeks.

"What," you may ask "are you doing in Dorkland?". And I'd have one word for you "Metro"'. I have pleaded and begged with Jenny Nicholls, Art Director, to let me come watch her and her minions at work. Real magazine peeps creating a real magazine. I say "real" beacause these crazies get paid for evey hour they work AND win Qantas media awards, and if that isn't a stamp that you're a real magazine, then I don't know what is. I'm hoping that not only will it be a completely edifiying experience into the world of magazine production, but also an opportunity to find the perfect pair of boots.
Yeah... not those.
I start next week, so this week is just the exploration of a big city by a small city girl. Apparently last year Auckland increased by one and a bit Dunedins! Also they have Wendy's, and motorways, phone numbers that begin with different digits in the same city, fast broad band and fancy weather patterns (sun). They also have RainbowsEnd (BIG news if you come form an amusement park-free town), so that is definitely on the agenda, as is some food from other countries (other than noodles), and maybe a trip up the big phallis.

Anyway, since I'm doing something that isn't the general routine of working on a weekly mag that is 622 steps away from your house, I will be posting a bit over the next couple weeks.
Pity I didn't bring a digital camera. Maybe I'll buy one at that parallell import place you always see on tv.

No comments: