Saturday, October 25, 2008

Just call me OneStitch

I was lead climbing last night on a route with 2 shelf overhangs and peeled off just under the 2nd shelf. I fell and unfortunately it was just the wrong distance and I landed just below the first shelf and although I had my hands up to save my head (not the face!), my knees were just at the wrong height and my left knee clipped the edge of the shelf as I swung underneath. I thought it would just be horribly bruised and I'd need ice but when I pulled up my pants there was this massive gash. My poor belay buddy blamed himself for giving me a crap belay but really, it's just one of those things. 10cm more less and my feet would have been on the wall and 10cm more and my knee would have sailed underneath.

So we headed to Charing Cross Hospital A&E and I was in and out in about an hour which has to be a record. Sadly I only have one stitch and some superglue to show for my efforts and annoyingly I'm out of commission for a week. And taking stairs is a pain in the, well, knee.

And of course I documented it but to keep gore to a minimum, I've done a montage of my latest adventure. Needless to say I have more pics. And excuse my manky thumb (chipped nail polish and I had just been climbing) but I needed something for scale.

No comments: