Friday, December 21, 2007

breaking my heart

I'm spending Christmas with family friends in Ireland and just called up to confirm that they had all my flight details etc and got to talk to the kids, Sean and Daisy. I can't believe I didn't blog about my trip there at Easter. I thought I did but cannot find a post about it anywhere. At any rate, the relevant point about that trip was that Sean, who at 4 years old (now 5) was really getting into his words, realised that Aynia rhymes with lasagne so I spent 5 days in Portugal being called Aynia Lasagne which is something I haven't been called since I was 8 years old and thought I had done a pretty good job at stomping out. However- when a 4 year old boy with a heart-stoppingly cheeky smile is so proud of himself for 'inventing' this name for me, well I just didn't have the heart to quash it.

When I got to talk to the kids just now, Sean gets on the phone and proud as punch, announced, "Hello Aynia Lasagne!" to which I had to reply, "Hello Seany-prawny" (you say it's lame but it was his suggestion). But then Daisy gets on the phone and, bless her soul, she proudly tries to say the same thing but it comes out more like 'Aynia lagnana' and my heart nearly broke from the übercuteness of it all. I'm only going to get to see them for a night and part of a day before they fly back to Portugal so goodluck to their family getting near them in that time.

No comments: